Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Simple Things

Sometimes people look for the big things in order to find joy. They need things to be big, bold and in their face in order for them to be appreciative. When people think this way they tend to overlook many simple things that are just as great. They miss out on something small that could make them just as happy; if not more-so. I think we need to remember the little things, and always look for them because they are much more abundant than the big things.

A simple thing that I enjoy is to take a walk anywhere; I don't ever have a destination in mind. Sometimes I stick my headphones in and listen to music while I look at everything, and other times I just take the sounds of what's around me and listen. No matter where I go, there's always something that makes me smile; even if it's just the sunshine.

Another simple thing I wish I would take advantage of more is quiet time. I love to be the only one awake in the morning... and that's why I don't enjoy this one as often. Late night homework makes early morning quiet time a haze, and I would much rather be asleep. However, when I plan ahead and get to sleep earlier, then I'll get up and read or work on a project. I love how quiet it is and how much I'm able to focus and get things done. The best is Christmas morning when all the colorful lights are on and everyone comes out one by one. :)

One of my favorite simple things is the sunset. I always say I could watch the sunset every night and never get sick of it, and it's true! What I love is that it's different every night; no sunset is ever the same, and that's why it would never get old. Each time I watch one I love the peaceful feeling it brings, and the time it gives me to think.

Alma 37:6
Now ye may suppose that this is afoolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by bsmall and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.


Take the time to appreciate the simple things... and watch more sunsets. :)

1 comment: