Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Woman Up!

 My first semester of college I attended BYU-Hawaii. I know, crazy, right? Well, I was very excited to go; however, I was also scared out of my mind. My first semester was going to be somewhere that I could never visit family or close friends for support, and I was going in knowing practically nothing about the area.

A little overwhelming...okay, a LOT overwhelming.

Let's say that I cried a ton, I decided that Skype was evil and never going to help ease missing my family, and I felt like giving up way more than once or twice. In short, it was hard. I was even reading through my journal this past week and letters that I had stuck in there from my family. I couldn't even read my dads without crying, and it's almost been two years! I definitely was pushed while I was there, and I came out with way more confidence in myself than ever before.

Not to be negative there, but I just wanted to give you that background. My dad would always tell me to woman up... even before I left, but the phrase was brought up more once I was 3.5 thousand miles away and struggling.

I tried to keep that phrase in my mind when I felt like giving up because I knew I could do it; it was just a whole mind trick thing that was making me freak out. So, one day when I went to the Swap Meet (it's like a giant farmer's market for those who don't know what I'm talking about), and there was a cute little man personalizing these little leather bracelets. I picked one out and wrote what I wanted and I've worn it ever since.


It's a constant reminder that I can do whatever I set my mind to. Sometimes I just need to pull myself together and woman up!

No comments:

Post a Comment