Monday, October 27, 2014

Life as a Driver.

Hello!! My name is Courtney, and I'm going to be your coach commander today!! I promise I'm big enough...I passed my license exam this morning and I need an adult with me at all times--that's why you're all here!

Welcome to the beginning of my tour (or at least a variation of it) that I gave for 4 months while I worked for Holland America-Princess Cruise Lines. Summer 2014 was when I decided to go to Alaska again and work; however, instead of working at a front desk I decided I wanted to be a driver/guide. Not a problem, right? Right! It was the best decision of my life (for many reasons, but some of those will come in another post). However, you probably noticed in my little speech at the beginning that I mentioned I was big enough to drive. For some reason all of my guests would question my ability to drive based on my size! I wonder why they thought that...


Anyway...that's not what's important. What is important is that I LOVED this job! Of course you have your normal ups and downs, but it was so much fun. I fell in love with Alaska last year, but I hadn't fallen in love with my job. This year showed me that I could love being in Alaska even more.

I would find out my schedule the day before (that was a little crazy sometimes, but you get used to it). When dispatch came out you'd know your start time, coach number, tour, and number of guests. The next day you'd come check in and go pre-trip your coach. Now here's the best part, then you got to go drive! Sometimes you'd only have 1 person with you and other times you'd have 55! Most of your guests are seniors, but they are adorable! We would always joke that now we have a couple hundred sets of grandparents to help us out.

I know this isn't a normal post that I usually do, but I just wanted everyone to know how much I loved driving and Alaska. I'm so grateful for this experience and I'm excited to hopefully go back up next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment